Thursday, January 10, 2008

Through prayer, I can sense my inner strength, my inner purpose, my inner joy, my capacity to love - Ruth Brin

 

SAA suggests a bubble as an appropriate, poetic metaphor that expresses the radical nature of the addict’s isolation. We thought we were strong, happy, loved and loving when we were in the bubble acting out. Unfortunately the secret world of our own creation where we sought thrills and pleasure was also a world of shame and guilt when the bubble burst and we reentered the real world. There is an alternative to the bubble. It is a simple option really. But like most things for addicts, it is the simple things that are the hardest for us to do. How many times were we told “Just don’t do it.” In recovery we have been given a tool to help us find peace. If we pray daily to our Higher Power, not to fix our lives or to create a different life for us, but to pray just for insight and knowledge of the life our Higher Power has planned for us, we will discover true strength, joy and happiness. As long as we remember that our Higher Power will show us this life when He wants us to see it and not when we demand to see it, can our dreams come true. And that will be much more rewarding and satisfying than any acting out behavior ever was or could ever be.

 

G-d, for today grant me the patience to hear your voice and see your path as you want me to, and not how I want it to be.

No comments: